Jasper, always the photogenic one; these are the last two photos I took of him.It has been very difficult adjusting to life without Jasper. You do not realize what an integral part of your life a pet is until they are no longer there. While we were at the school celebrating Sam's birthday the dogs got out. A neighbor claimed that the dogs killed his chickens and so he shot Jasper. He did not come to warn us and we did not even know him or that he had chickens. It was a rude awakening to how some people approach things in life. The man wasn't even a native, but resident of the village. We are very frustrated by this act, and confused why our dog was shot on the public road, and not even on his property. Many from the village have apologized that this happened, but it is still a very hard thing to deal with. A couple of villagers have even offered us their own puppies, but nothing could fill the void that Jasper left us on Tuesday.
Jasper was an amazing dog. We got him as a young pup, 10 weeks old, from a kennel in Willow, Alaska. He was my true companion during the 15 months Sam was deployed. Trying to exercise him enough as a puppy made me become a runner. Jasper was the reason I ran my first marathon. He could run 20+ miles with me and come home still ready to play. Jasper was a very smart, affectionate and truly beloved dog. Jack is now a dog without a pack. He walks around looking for Jasper, looking for someone to follow. Jasper was the brains and Jack the brawn. They made a great team and we know Jack is grieving as much as we are.
-Gretchen
We continue to attempt to move on, but have decided not to live in our original cabin. All our possessions have been stored in the old school housing area, while we're sleeping on the floor of Sam's classroom in the new school, Jack by our side. I've given the ultimatum we need a new place to live, only time will tell what is provided for us. Despite only being there for two days it already holds poor memories. We will return often though since I buried Jasper in a nice alpine tundra pasture a short distance from the cabin. I have already learned the loss of Jasper was not the fault of Arctic Village, but a few bad seeds. We've already spent time talking with several Village Elders that have a wealth of knowledge and experience to share with anyone that will listen. Even today the secrets of this awesome place were revealed as several dignified government officials with the Department of Interior flew in to listen to Elders give testimonies against drilling in ANWR and climate change in general. Still, morale is at an all time low and I'm struggling to find that motivation that originally brought me here. Despite the consequences of leaving, its a real thing in my mind.
-Sam
6 comments:
Guys, I am really sorry to hear about this. I hope you are able to work things out and find peace with your new location.
Sam and Gretchen, I am Amelia's mom and SO SORRY to hear about your loss of Jasper, especially at this time of the new move. I would be devastated if either of my dogs were shot but also aware from working in the arctic there is a different attitude towards dogs. I would hope that in time, not now, you would find the perfect pup as offerred by some of your Inuit neighbours.
Sam and Gretchen,
I am sending peace and love your way. I read of Jaspers passing on FB and then here on your blog. What an incredible life you gave him. I understand that your dogs are as ours, a huge part of our family, and I am so so sorry.
Donna from WV
So sorry to hear about Jasper. We've had similar experiences living in the North and can understand what you're going through. If you'd like to talk you can reach us at cheslockteacher@hotmail.com
Cindy and Matt are in Rankin Inlet and I house sat for them two summers ago and brought my dogs...he is a teacher. They run their dogs on teams and would be a good contact.
Sam and Gretchen-so so so sorry to hear about Jasper. He was a great dog and had a great life with you. The pain of losing a dog in that matter will always be with you.
Post a Comment